Tuesday, July 28, 2009

DON RAMON ROCES









Let's get to know the original Komiks King, if you think that Carlo J. Caparas owns this title, you're wrong. The true Komiks King was born on December 9, 1898 from the married couple Alejandro "Moy" Roces and Antonia "Nena" Pardo. His name plays a big role with regards to the world of comics, if it wasn't for his dedication and desire to introduce this type of medium, we Filipinos won't have anything to read which would be as entertaining and interesting as his works. He is no other than my idol, savior, mentor and guide towards my success... he is DON RAMON ROCES. His siblings are Joaquin "Chino" Roces, Alejandro "Andong" Roces Jr., Filomena "Nenita" Roces, Isabel "Bebeng" Roces, Mercedes Roces, Rafael "Tuti" Roces, Antonia "Chucha" Roces at Marcos "Taling" Roces. He is married to a woman named Elena Hollmann to whom he bore two children who are Elena "Morita" Roces at Carmen "Carmencita" Roces.

He is a Filipino _Hispanic publishing magnate, who is known as "Grand Old Man of Philippine Popular Publishing" and is entitled as "Original Komiks King" of the Philippines. He is the eldest son of Don Alejandro Roces (he is responsible for the donation of Paete Central Elementary School), he is also the publisher of T-V-T (Tribune, La Vanguardia, Taliba), Don Ramon is also the person behind the production of the most popular Tagalog magazine in the Philippines called Liwayway. He also produced other magazines such as Bikolnon, Hiligaynon, Bannawag at Bisaya Magazine. On 1947, alongside Tony Velasquez, they created Ace Publications Inc., which became the biggest publishing company not only in Asia, but around the world. The renowned Komiks King died in 1993 and I was one of those who came to share this lost .


FOND MEMORIES:
I'll still remember the first time I saw and spent time with this person. I was surprised one October morning (1978) when I recieved a letter from Islas Filipinas Publishing House Inc. At first, I didn't believed what the letter contained. I was asked to report to RRI (Ramon Roces Inc.) for an interview with Don Ramon. I've been visiting Atlas Publishing House and Gasi Inc. for so long, giving samples of my works to well-known editors. Unfortunately my effort or my style of drawing was not enough to make it as a Comics Illustrator. And in my hands that very moment was the answer to all my dreams, I know it would be of great help to support my less fortunate family if I were able to get the said job, working for Funny Komiks. So I didn't waste any time, I left for Manila for an interview on October 18, 1978 and there I met and had a face to face encounter with the real King of Philippine Komiks. At first, I was nervous since I'll be facing a Don, tall in stature, very much like a Spanish. I was glad since instead of an interview, I encountered a Don Ramon who desires to relive the past. He brought up the topic about his hometown in Laguna , which is Paete. He was very pleased to hear that the brooks and the lake were all cleaned up, since that was were he use to play during his childhood. He also came up with the question if the two rocks were still positioned the same way entering the town he have always wanted to return to. We talked about so many things that truly filled my heart with such great joy. At that time, Don Ramon became a huge part of my life. He became my inspiration to the career I have decided to take up which is comics. I considered him as my idol before, now and forevermore. I salute you Don Ramon wherever you are and I thank you very much...that you have lead me to where I am now!

2 comments:

  1. hi mang jun,
    gusto ko sanang itanong kung gawa po ninyo itong painting ni don ramon? hihingi sana ako ng permiso para makagamit ko sa ginagawa kong article tungkol sa komiks para sa magasin. ilalaga ko po ang pangalan ninyo. salamat po. ito po ang email ko tagakomiks@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir Randy,

    Sorry for the delay answer, this is the only time I visit my blog as I have been so busy with so many projects in the office. I'm glad someone like you had an interest about what I have done. Yes, I am the one who made the visual image of Don Ramon in my posting and I'll give you the permission to use it in anyway you please. Hope you'll be backing me up with this cause of reviving comics in the Philippines.

    Sincerely,

    Jun B. Dayo

    ReplyDelete